Wednesday, June 24, 2015

What is Reflection Magazine?




Reflection was first named Shine back in 2013 when I decided I wanted to start my own magazine. I felt that young women of color deserved more coverage in a society that predominately celebrated women with European features. I had my own experience with racism in the pageant industry and it shook some of my confidence in my race. After that experience I started to question myself. Was I good enough without being white and blonde with blue eyes? I wondered this, because that's all the was praised in my experience in this pageant while the ethnic girls were shoved to the background. Also, all I see when I look at a magazine or when I turn the television on is a woman of European descent on an advertisement. Even at a young age when Barbie was all the rage. She had blonde hair, a slim figure, and blue eyes being advertised to us young children as the most beautiful figure alive. So what am I to think? I was brought up in a household that celebrated African like features. I was told by my mother to embrace my blackness. So I did, until I walked out into life and so many people wanted to tell me otherwise. That's when I knew I wanted to produce a consistent platform for young women of color to be able to identify with. We are all equal and until that ideal is embraced I believe it is essential for this to be out for young women. If you would like to see more of what Reflection Magazine is about please go to Reflectionmag.com and check out all the amazing articles available!







Photography by Steven Trotman & Queensview

1 comment: